9886 Torbram Road south of Bovaird Drive,Brampton, Ontario
On May 2, 1840, Emmanuel Harrison Sr. deeded one acre of land for a burying ground and the erection of a Wesleyan Methodist Church.
There was a gallery for the choir built over the front door and the pulpit was at the centre of the opposite end and was of the high closed-in type, common to that day and frequently called “the swallow’s nest”. The men sat on one side of the church during the services and the ladies on the other, although newly married couples were permitted to sit together for their first three Sundays.
This church was used until the present building was built in 1875-76. The old building was then used for concerts and tea-meetings until it was torn down in 1880.
The present building is located across the road from the original site (and you will note that the original cemetery is still on the west side of Torbram).
Text from the plaque on side of building:
"THIS BUILDING, ORIGINALLY ERECTED IN 1876 ON LAND DONATED BY JOHN STUBBINGS, IS REPRESENTATIVE OF THE GOTIC REVIVAL STYLE. WITH LEGACIES FROM EMMANUEL HARRISON AND GEORGE ELLIOT, IT WAS THE HOME OF THE METHODIST CONGREGATION UNTIL IT BECAME HARRISON UNITED CHURCH IN 1925. THE FOUR BAY SINGLE STOREY STRUCTURE, WITH FULL BASEMENT, AN A STONE FOUNDATIONIS OF RED BRICK ACCENTED WITH BEIGE BRICK IN THE BUTTRESSES, CORNER KEYING, CORBELLING AT THE ROOFLINES AND PARTICULARLY AT WINDOWS OPENINGS. HERE THE LANCET ARCHES ARE EDGED IN BEIGE BRICK WITH DISTINCTIVE POINTED BRICK TRIM COURSING; ELSEWHERE ALTERNATING BRICK COLOURS WERE USED FOR PICTURESQUE EFFECT COMPLEMENTING A STAINED GLASS ROSE WINDOW. IN 1984 THIS BUILDING WAS PURCHASED AND USED BY THE HAR TIKVAH CONGREGATION AS A SYNAGOGUE."
DESIGNATED UNDER THE ONTARIO HERITAGE ACT
BY THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF BRAMPTON
ON AGUST 13, 1984
The original design of the Church had a balcony over the west end and a two-story section on the east. A circular stained-glass window was installed above the vestibule which originally had a flat roof with a steeple-shaped tower on each front corner. In 1925, Harrison Methodist Church became Harrison United Church, following Church Union. In 1947, the building was renovated to raise the auditorium 35 inches and the lower level was dug down three feet.
In 1983, Har Tikvah Congregation of Brampton purchased the church and converted it into a synagogue, where it continues to serve the Jewish community of Brampton and Caledon. The synagogue is a Reform temple. When the building was purchased, many changes took place. New stained glass windows were installed on the east wall, and an ark was custom built to house the Torahs (scrolls). In 1998, land was purchased to the north of the building, to accommodate future growth of Har Tikvah Congregation of Brampton.
In 1999, portables were moved onto the site to house the Hebrew school.
Many of these graves date back to the 1860's and 70's. The City of Brampton manages the cemetery now.
Emanuel Harrison founder of the cemetery
Thomas Nixon 1866-1948
George, Thomas, Rachel and Annie Boyd
William Moon and Wife
William T. Black
Ward Maltby died 1882
Daniel Lotherington died 1850. His daughter Fanny died 1851
Children of Joseph and Eliza Newlove
Richard Robins died 1867
Annie Violet Maltby 1901-1938 wife of George Duncan
(Top and bottom) Isaac Modeland d. 19 Sept, 1829, aged 31 yrs, 4 mos., 15 days, Native of Cumberland, England. The headstone is badly damaged